Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I had my sixth grade students act out the life of Antoine Lavoisier in order to learn more about him. It was really two years back that we put on our "production". We included his birth, marriage to his 13 year old wife, Marie, his work in the lab, the work of the tax general, his arrest, and of course the most exciting event, for the boys especially, his death at the guillotine. Lavoisier is mentioned in our 6th grade standards and I was struggling for a way to bring this "father of chemistry" alive for my kids. Anyway, for what it's worth, the classes enjoyed being main characters, King Louis XV, Marie Antoinette, parents, peasants, tax collectors, jailers, and of course Lavoisier himself. We used some written materials about him and I made a power point including pictures of him, the royal family, his lab, a guillotine, etc.

Beth Nahre
Shelbyville (Indiana)

No comments: